Date:      Wed, 30 Jul 2014 22:14:14 -0400
From:      Dutch Ingraham <stoa@gmx.us>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Audio CDs Not Playing

On 07/30/2014 09:27 PM, Benjamin Kaduk wrote:
> I am not sure how helpful this will be, but
>
> On Wed, 30 Jul 2014, Dutch Ingraham wrote:
>
>> Greetings:
>>
>> I asked this question on freebsd-questions a couple of days ago and
>> have received zero responses, so I'm posting here and asking the
>> hackers for their help.  Here's the problem:
>>
>> I'm having trouble with playing audio CDs; specifically, they won't
>> play at all.  Secondarily, it appears as though if they would play, I
>> would need to be root to do so.
>>
>> I am issuing the <cdcontrol -f /dev/cd0 play 1> command and the CD
>
> I believe that for this command to actually produce audio playback
> requires a hardwired connection between the optical drive and the sound
> card (or motherboard, if it's an integrated sound card as is the norm
> these days); this is a dedicated 4-pin cable (or so; it's been a while)
> that's distinct from the power and (P|S)ATA data cable for the drive.
> That said, I would mostly expect this cdcontrol command to still spin
> the drive up even if that connection is not in place...
>
>> simply will not play (it does not physically spin).  However, if I issue
>> <cdcontrol /dev/cd0 eject>, the CD will eject; if I issue
>> <cdcontrol /dev/cd0 info>, I will receive the tracks information, etc.
>> So it appears as though communication is happening, but the CD will not
>> play.  If I issue these commands as a regular user, I receive a
>> "permission denied" message; if run as root, simply nothing happens -
>> no error, nothing.  In fact, issuing <echo $?> returns 0.
>>
>> PS - This issue is not limited to CLI commands; VLC will issue the
>> error "VLC is unable to open the MRL 'cdda:///dev/cd0'. Check the
>> log for details." There is no log info that I can find.  In addition, I
>> can burn a cd with xfburn, but only as root.  My fstab has the
>> standard entry for CDs.  Sound does work, as I can generate white noise.
>
> It does not seem very surprising to me that root privilege is required
> to (e.g.) burn a CD.  This is related to at least the permissions on on
> the /dev/cd0 device node, which I don't think were in the context I
> trimmed...
>
> -Ben

Thanks for the info, Ben.  I had actually seen something on that issue
in an old (May 2008) daemonforums post while researching this problem.
There, the poster suggested using amarok or xmms - programs capable of
"digital audio extraction" ( I don't know what that is ) and in which it
was implied that cdcontrol was not capable of.

xmms is deprecated and I don't want the hundreds of files that come with
amarok.  I suppose I could try something like audacious, but as noted,
vlc doesn't work either, so I'd prefer to not get into the cycle of
downloading a bunch of similar programs just to find out there was a
simple setting I was missing.

Also, the current man page for <cdcontrol> and the handbook don't adress
such a restriction that I could find.

Does "digital audio extraction" mean anything to you or is it helpful in
ay way?