Date:      Fri, 09 May 1997 20:17:49 +1000
From:      Stephen McKay <syssgm@dtir.qld.gov.au>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: why 'toor'?

On Thursday, 8th May 1997, Michael Hancock wrote:

>On 8 May 1997, Choi Jun Ho wrote:
>
>> >From all the dist of FreeBSD I've seen, there is an id 'toor',
>> equivalent to 'root'. I heard that is for Bourne-shell root users, but
>> I cannot understand why two root id exist. Is it a some traditional
>> reason or some kind of joke?
>
>'root' is to be used with 'sh' a statically linked binary in case /usr
>isn't mounted.
>
>'toor' can use a dynamically linked 'bash' and be equivalent to root.

Sounds like a good plan, but it's not what we do.  As distributed, "root"
on FreeBSD runs /bin/csh, and "toor" runs /bin/sh (both are only available
statically linked).  Since I hate csh with a burning passion, I always
delete "toor" and convert "root" to sh when installing FreeBSD.  By the
way, "Charlie Root" and "Bourne-again Superuser" are a bit silly as names.
I always include the machine name, like "doorstop root".

I suppose the real reason for "toor" is to appease the csh haters.  It's
been like that since 386BSD as far as I can recall.  I don't think it
was like this in the 4.2 BSD days, but I now have no way to check.

Stephen.