Date:      Fri, 24 Jul 2009 13:55:42 +0100
From:      "Daniel Bye" <danielby@slightlystrange.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: jpeg-7 - rebuild all dependencies - how?

--E/DnYTRukya0zdZ1

On Fri, Jul 24, 2009 at 02:03:43PM +0200, Ewald Jenisch wrote:
> Hi,
>=20
> Updating one of my sytems I followed /usr/ports/UPDATING and did a
> "pkg_delete -r jpeg-6b_7" - only to discover that everything that

Au contraire, Blackadder. UPDATING says to run either of=20

portmaster -r jpeg*

OR

portupgrade -fr graphics/jpeg

It says nothing of pkg_delete.

> depends on jpeg-* is gone - this involves little wonders like the
> complete gnome2 environment plus e.g. firefox, gimp,
> openoffice.=20

pkg_delete -r <package> - recursively delete <package> and all others that=
=20
depend on it.

>=20
> What's really bad however is that all information about the
> dependencies that were there before is now gone, i.e. the system has
> no clue that e.g. gnome2 was installed.

Yep, because pkg_delete removed their entries from the registry.

>=20
> Fortunately, in my particular case, I did a "pkg_info -Rx jpeg-" prior
> to that pkg_delete so at least I have clue as to the state of my ports
> that depend on jpeg-* before that pkg_delete.
>=20
> So here are my questions:
>=20
> o) Do I really have to re-build every port that depends on jpeg-* from
> scratch; i.e. "make && make install"ing every port? (i.e. take the
> list from pkg_info (see above) and build everything by hand)

That's going to be the best bet, yes.

>=20
> o) Is there a less painful way to upgrade everything that depends on jpeg=
-*

You could try installing prebuilt packages, but they might not all have been
updated yet to use the new version of jpeg.=20

> PS: To my understanding the information in /usr/ports/UPDATING is a
> little misleading without mentioning anything that "pkg_delete"
> basically removing all dependencies leaving the system in a state with
> the dependent packages deleted having no clue as to what was there
> before. Maybe a little hint about this would possibly keep others from
> falling into similar traps....

Read the relevant entry again. It mentions nothing about running pkg_delete.

Dan

--=20
Daniel Bye
                                                                     _