Date:      Mon, 28 Aug 2006 22:45:25 +0930
From:      Alastair Watts <awatts@pett.com.au>
To:        "R. B. Riddick" <arne_woerner@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-geom@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: gvinum behaviour on disk failure

Hi Arne,

R. B. Riddick wrote:

> I say, did u consider migrating to gmirror or graid3?
> Or even graid5? ;-))

I use gmirror as much as I can! I used gvinum this time though as the
disks are slightly different.. ad0 is 38166MB while ad2 is 38204MB and
as far as I know, drives need to be identical sizes for gmirror to work.

Is there a way to use gmirror with these two drives?

> As far as I know, gvinum is not so good supported and has a lot of
> dysfunctions/malfunctions and is just contained for people who want to stay
> with vinum... vinum isnt so good supported since R5.X... But I am sure that
> vinum was somewhen in R3/R4 a very good software-RAID-tool... I will never
> forget it...

Yes... I noticed gvinum was very different to Greg's original vinum
suite ;) But this seems to be a fundamental thing that's missing from
gvinum - the ability to recover from a drive failure and to be able to
service the request from a different plex.

Thoughts?

Cheers,

Al