Date:      Wed, 12 Apr 2000 08:40:05 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Micke Josefsson <mj@isy.liu.se>
To:        `ekips <ekips@whack.org>
Cc:        freebsd-newbies.com@whack.org, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: "dangerously dedicated"

On 12-Apr-00 `ekips wrote:
> when making partitions with /stand/sysinstall, i decided to press
> "A" and
> got the following message:
>
> "Do you want to do this with a true partition entry so as to remain
> cooperative with any future operating systemss on the drive(s)?"
>
> ... and then points me to the FreeBSD FAQ, where i could not find
> any info
> on the subject.  where can i find good documentation on this?  or
> even
> better, could someone explain all the ramifications of my two
> options
> [yes/no].  thanx.

In short: Normally a disk consists of up to 4 primary partitions (or
three primary and one extended, which can contain infinately many
extended partitions). A table at the beginning of the disk has space
for four pointers to these four regions on disk. A dangerously
dedicated disk ignores this table and starts using the disk from its
very beginning, as a result of this you cannot afterwards repartition
your disk to make space for (shudder) windows. This works all right
for FreeBSD: If you have no intention of installing anything but
FreeBSD on it then go straight ahead with 'dangerously dedicated'.

You can still erase the entire disk and partition it with dos's fdisk
later if you want - but you'll lose the your FreeBSD installation
then.

Michael Josefsson, MSEE
mj@isy.liu.se

This message was sent by XFMail