Date:      Mon, 02 Oct 2000 11:38:59 +1100
From:      Gregory Bond <gnb@itga.com.au>
To:        "Shawn Barnhart" <swb@grasslake.net>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: HP Kayak XA series vs FreeBSD

>When I get the initial boot menu I have a choice of F1 for DOS, F2 for
>FreeBSD and F5 for Disk 2.  I cannot choose F2 -- all I get is a beep,
>it will not timeout to that choice either.

We had the same problem.  It seems there is some sort of problem with the new
1024-byte boot0 on the HP XA boxes.  John Baldwin was going to send me some
debugging boot0s but he's obviously been busy.

Our workaround was to install the 512-byte boot0 from the 4.0 CD.  We did this
by booting the 4.1 CD, using the 4.1 Fixit floppies (because the 4.1 Fixit CD
didn't work!), then copying the boot0 from a 4.0 CD into /boot, then using
boot0cfg to install it.

Greg.