Date:      Sun, 26 Feb 2006 21:19:35 +0100
From:      Dimitry Andric <dimitry@andric.com>
To:        Ed Maste <emaste@phaedrus.sandvine.ca>
Cc:        Ian Dowse <iedowse@iedowse.com>, stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: RELENG_6: serial console drops back from 115200 to 9600 baud

--------------enig163E20593D5769000507856F

Ed Maste wrote:
>> Okay, but why did 4.x through 5.x through 6.x (these have all been on
>> this particular machine) always boot with 115200 until now? :)

> Because now the loader has new behaviour of using the existing speed
> if the previous stage indicates a serial port is in use, instead
> of blindly jamming in a compile-time setting.

Fine, but please be aware that this new behaviour violates POLA, at
least without a stern notice in UPDATING. :)  My idea about hard coded
defaults has always been that they are followed, not ignored...

> comconsole_speed=3D in /boot/loader.conf
> existing speed, if comconsole is already set by previous stage
> BOOT_COMCONSOLE_SPEED compile time default

Well, the last item will simply never be hit, since there is ALWAYS a
previous stage, isn't there?  So then you might as well remove the
compile time default.  Or at least make clear that the compile time
default only applies to boot[12], and not the loader.

>> Anyway, I also thought that installworld would take care of installing=

>> any updated boot blocks, if necessary.  I'll manually install them and=

>> see what I end up with.
>=20
> It doesn't seem that way.  They'll be placed in /boot, but not
> in the mbr or slice I think.

Indeed, as Ian explained.  FYI, I've just installed new boot blocks with
a configured BOOT_COMCONSOLE_SPEED, commented out the console=3D and
comconsole_speed=3D entries in loader.conf, and this works as expected no=
w.

However, please keep in mind that this might hit non-binary upgraders
who use serial consoles, e.g. people with remote boxes in faraway
places.  They should be warned to either upgrade their bootblocks
manually, or set the speed directives in loader.conf.