Date:      Fri, 19 Sep 1997 09:59:39 +0930
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de (Joerg Wunsch)
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: INB question

> As Mike Smith wrote:
> >
> > The ISA specification explicitly requires bus pullup resistors.  It may
> > be unwise to depend on reading 0xff back-to-back with a previous read/
> > write operation, ...
>
> That's why i wrote ``unspecified, with a tendency to 0xff''.

The implication (as an english speaker) from your claim was
"unspecified but sometimes 0xff".  It would be civilised to qualify the
"tendency" under the circumstances.

> > but the reader is welcome to calculate the RC time constant for a
> > transmission line with a few pF of capacitance and a 10K (or less)
> > pullup.
>
> j@uriah 132% perl -e 'print 50e-12 * 10e3; print "\n"'
> 5e-07
>
> I think 50 pF is rather an understatement.  0.5 µs doesn't seem to be
> terribly short, but IIRC, ISA inb's are artificially deferred by 1.25
> µs, so chances are good to actually see 0xff.  I wouldn't rely on it
> for a back-to-back read, however.

50pf is a little on the low side, granted.  I don't have my copy of
Solari handy to check, but a quick eyeball of the boards to hand
indicates that something lower like 4k7 is common practice, so 500ns
drift-up time is not unreasonable.

OBTW, see my trailing comment wrt. transfer rates; if ISA read cycles
are deferred by 1.25us, how do I manage 1.3MW/sec from a user-space
process?  (This is with a P166 on an HX board; nothing special.)

mike