Date:      Fri, 25 Jul 1997 11:48:31 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Brian Clapper <clapper@platinum.com>
To:        "Victor A. Sudakov" <vas@vas.tomsk.su>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: xterm is only black&white

Victor A. Sudakov wrote:

> Sergei S. Laskavy wrote:
>
> >     Mariusz> I just installed 2.2.1R on my computer and I can't find
> >     Mariusz> the reason that my xterm is only black and white.  On
> >
> > The right termcap entry for X Term is somewhere in /usr/X11R6.
> > You can just copy that file to $HOME/.termcap and X terminal will
> > appear in colours :)
>
> Did not work for me. Any more ideas?
>
> I am using FreeBSD 2.1.6

If you just want to be able to change the foreground and background colors,
read the xterm manual page and look for the `-fg' and `-bg' command line
options or their corresponding X resource strings (e.g., `XTerm*foreground'
and `XTerm*background').  If, on the other hand, you want an xterm that
understands the ANSI color escape sequences (so that one of the colorized
ls ports will work, for instance), make sure you've (a) installed the
`color_xterm' port or package, and (b) you're firing up `color_xterm', not
`xterm'.
----
Brian Clapper, clapper@platinum.com
Throw out your gold teeth/And see how they roll.
The answer they reveal:/Life is unreal.