Date:      Fri, 4 Apr 1997 00:53:46 +0800 (SGT)
From:      sweeting@tm.net.my
To:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   POP not recognising passwords : anyone any ideas ?

I am trying to create another mailhub.
Virtual sendmail domains works fine - i can send between
userA@real.com and userB@virt1.com and userC@virt2.com.
The routing is fine and sending mail from these users
on PC's and Mac's works perfectly.

Now to collect mail, I have installed qpopper2.2.
Telnetted to port 110 and it seems to be working fine.
But when I try to connect from the PC's, Eudora gives
me the message
"ERR I said USER fred
  and then the POP server (fred@virt1.com) said :
  ERR password for 'fred' is incorrect."

Basically :
sendmail is working fine. From unix, the virtual domains
work perfectly. sending from PCs/Macs also works fine
since that is SMTP.

Qpopper is running . But I can't log into the POP server
since it always compains that the passwords are wrong
(which they definitely are not)

If it helps, I did move /usr/home  to /data/home
and change the symlink /home at one point.
I have tried moving it back to /usr/home without joy.

Can anyone shed any light on this ?

Thank you very much in advance.

chas

ps. is it also normal to that if you kill sendmail and then
     restart with /usr/sbin/sendmail, you get a
     "root .... recipient names must be specified"
    I get that even on a production machine for which
    POP and virtual domains are working fine.

cheers.