Date:      Tue, 5 Oct 1999 09:33:07 -0600
From:      Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
To:        SHUDO Kazuyuki <shudoh@muraoka.info.waseda.ac.jp>
Cc:        freebsd-java@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Announce: New release of JDK1.1.8 for FreeBSD

> I guess that Volano mark requires not only performance
> of bytecode execution, but also effective multithreading.

Actually, in my own benchmarks making *HEAVY* use of sockets and such, I
compared the Solaris green threads implementation (not kernel threads)
vs. the static executable created by TowerJ and the difference was
~25%.  At the time, TowerJ on Solaris was the *fastest* VM around.

> There are works remains in the area of OS, yes it's FreeBSD. :)

I'm less convinced of that than you, especially in extremely I/O bound
applications.  If you're I/O bound and use lots of threads, then it
turns out that the green threads switching is actually *faster* because
it doesn't have to do complete context switching of kernel threads.

And, because I/O is 'mostly' handled by select inside the green threads
code, it actually works pretty well for most things...

Anyway, that has been my experience.  I can't compare the FreeBSD stuff,
because we have nothing like TowerJ.

Nate