Date:      Sat, 25 Aug 2001 17:35:12 -0700
From:      kevin godfrey <kevin@ticktockman.com>
To:        Dan Look <dan@electriccheese.com>
Cc:        ITServices@cableinet.co.uk, Conrad Sabatier <conrads@home.com>, freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG, joel2a@yahoo.com
Subject:   Re: Microsoft bashers

Indeed, the first GUI was developed by Xerox at PARC.
Apple licensed the technology for around a million bucks from Xerox
(Xerox didn't think home computers were going to be a big thing).  MS
"borrowed" the technology, if I remember correctly, they were brought to
court by Apple for their "borrowing" but Apple lost on a technicality.

Other things of note developed at Xerox:

The Mouse
and Ethernet (the guy who founded 3Com, Bob can't-remember-his-last-name
worked at PARC)

Dan Look wrote:

> The first GUI's were developed at Xerox PARC (Palo Alto Research Centre) (or
> so I've allways been told). And then first brought to public attention by Apple
> (mostly).
>
> I guess the early internet/arpanet ran mostly on Unix but I beleive TCP/IP was
> developed with cross platform compatability specifically in mind.
>
> And yes it's true, up untill around '95 MS had little or no interest in the
> 'net.

[snip]