Date:      Wed, 15 Apr 1998 12:45:48 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Ken Seggerman <suleyman@echonyc.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   X configuration problems (was: (no subject))

On Tue, 14 April 1998 at 23:05:31 -0400, Ken Seggerman wrote:

> Gentlemen:
>
> I have FreeBSD 2.2.2 running on my Gateway at home. I have been having a
> terrible time getting XF86 running in a useful manner.
>
> It runs, but only at a resolution of 340 x 200. There is not much point in
> my installing Netscape, or any other X-Window apps until I can get 1024 x
> 768

Agreed.

> I have the Greg Lehey Book and the cdroms for 2.2.5, but am still running
> 2.2.2..
>
> Is there a comparable book just about running XF86 and X-Windows
> applications on FreeBSD?

Not yet.

> I have included my XF86Config file, and an error log should any kind and
> informed person be able to offer me advice.

Sure.

You've left out the most important information: what hardware do you
have?  In any case, I was able to extract it from the log:

> (--) SVGA: PCI: Matrox Unknown chipset (0x051a) rev 2, Memory @ 0xffbec000

The version of XFree86 you are trying to use dones't support the
Matrox Millenium.  I believe the version on CD-ROM does.  You should
be able to run it on your version 2.2 system, though I can't guarantee
it.  If that version doesn't support your board, you can get the
latest version from http://www.xfree86.org/.

Greg