Date:      Wed, 04 Aug 1999 16:54:40 -0500
From:      Carol Deihl <carol@tinker.com>
To:        Luis Moreno <luis@cantv.net>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Troubles with Apache on FreeBSD

Hi Luis,

It's likely that the "limit" for number of processes is being
exceeded. From a csh (not an sh), as root, execute these commands:
	limit
	limit -h
The "-h" version gives the hard limits that are compiled in the
kernel, while the plain version gives the "soft" limits (e.g. what
it's running with now). When I ran into this same problem, I
foung that the hard limit for maxproc was 2067, while the soft
limit was only 64.

The solution is to start your web server from a csh script (not
an sh script, since sh on 2.2.x FBSD doesn't have a limit command).
In the script, put something like
	limit maxproc 1024
(or some value less than the number you found with limit -h)
before the command that starts the web server. This resolved our
problem. Interesting, when we ran into the problem, it was when
there were about 133 processes running (similar to your 126).

Hope this helps,
Carol

Luis Moreno wrote:
>=20
> Hello there.
>=20
> I=B4m runing Apache Web Server/1.3.0 with Ben-SSL/1.19 and
> FrontPage/3.0.4.2 PHP/3.0.6 on FreeBSD 2.2.6
>=20
> A snapshot of the head of top command is like this:
> Last pid:  8175;  load averages:  0.71,  0.19,  0.06
> 17:15:22
> 126 processes: 2 running, 124 sleeping CPU states:  3.1% user,  0.0%
> nice,  3.5% system,  1.2% interrupt, 92.2% idle
> Mem: 137M Active, 44M Inact, 30M Wired, 39M Cache, 8348K Buf, 788K Free
> Swap: 512M Total, 64K Used, 512M Free
>=20
> The server seems to be ok, but eventualy I=B4m geting problems with the
> execution of cgi script=B4s. This is the error message from the error
> Apache logs
> [Wed Aug  4 17:13:17 1999] [error] (35)Resource temporarily unavailable=
:
> couldn't spawn child process: /var/www/cgi-bin/Count.cgi
>=20
> Did anybody get=B4s the same?
>=20
> Thanks in advance for yor help.
>=20
> Luis.
>=20
--=20
Carol Deihl - carol@tinker.com
Shrier and Deihl - Unix Network Admin and Internet Software Development
http://www.tinker.com/ - Tinker Internet Services