Date:      Fri, 22 Aug 1997 17:09:22 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Random Junk <jsd@gamespot.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   tape backups unbelievably slow

i'm backing up a freebsd filesystem to a remote tape drive (exabyte
8500 connected to an IRIX machine) with the following command:

	dump 0af stage:/dev/nrtape /usr

this works, but it's so slow that it's almost useless... dump reports
transfer rates around 23k/sec.  it takes me over 24 hours to back up a
single machine!  obviously this is way less than ideal.

anybody have any ideas on how to improve performance?  i tried
initiating the dump from the IRIX machine by ssh'ing into the freebsd
box and dumping to stdout, then dd'ing onto the tape with a large
blocksize.  this worked great -- i was getting almost 200k/sec.
unfortunately the resultant tapes weren't readable by restore!  (i can
dd the contents of the tape onto a disk and then restore from that
file, but that requires having several gig free on a disk... obviously
another less than ideal situation).

--
Jon Drukman      jsd@gamespot.com             SpotMedia Communications
	     ...I was an infinitely hot and dense dot...