Date:      Thu, 22 Jun 2000 10:04:51 +1000
From:      Danny <dannyh@idx.com.au>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   NAT Query

- Hello I am trying to develop a prototype of NAT.
- I am running FreeBSD 3.3

- I have found the instructions in the handbook and decided to create a
checklist whcih is as follows : -

1) Compile the kernel with :-

options IPFIREWALL
options IPDIVERT

2) In /etc/rc.conf add:-

gateway_enable=YES
firewall_enable=YES

3)  Make sure your network cards are already configured.
  If you're using ppp, make sure you
start ppp before running natd.

4)  Ensure the following line appears in /etc/services:

natd     8668/divert  # Network Address Translation socket

5) Start natd

In /usr/local/etc/rc.d/

Remember to change ed0 to your external network card (i.e. the
 one that goes to your ISP).

      natd -interface ed0

6) Redirecting traffic to natd

You will need at least the following commands.  Remember to change ed0
to your external network card (i.e. the one that
goes to your ISP).

      /sbin/ipfw -f flush
      /sbin/ipfw add divert natd all from any to any via ed0
      /sbin/ipfw add pass all from any to any

7) Reboot
 In order for the changes you've made to take effect, you'll need to reboot.

 Things should run smoothly now.
 Making these changes permanent
 These steps will ensure that natd is configured when you need to reboot.

 Make sure the following is in /etc/rc.conf.  Remember to change ed0
 to your external network card (i.e. the one that goes to your ISP).  These
lines tell the system that you will be using natd, the interface which needs
to be diverted, and the flags which natd needs.  In this case, we'll be adding
our flags to a file for ease of maintenance..

      natd_enable="YES"
      natd_interface="ed0"
      natd_flags="-f /etc/natd.conf"

 Then make sure the following is in /etc/natd.conf.  Remember to change ed0 to your external network card (i.e. the one
 that goes to your ISP).

      interface ed0
      use_sockets yes
      same_ports yes

Situation

-For the testing environment I have a dial up account with myISP which is not
flat rate.
- For the last 3 to 4 years I have been running Winproxy.

Question

1) Does it mean I have to have some kind of permaent line to be running natd?
2) Can I use my existing dial up account?
3) If so have do I have to do exactly to detect my internal netcom 33.6 modem?