Date:      Tue, 19 May 1998 17:23:41 +0100 (BST)
From:      Scott Mitchell <scott@dcs.qmw.ac.uk>
To:        George Vagner <kf7nn@mutsgo.kf7nn.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: mail question

George Vagner said:
>i have 3 machines on my internal net and 1 router but i do not have
>seperate ip addresses for each of these machines i only have 1
>ip address that is registered so if i write a mail message on any of the other
>machines it is uasually rejected because they cant be looked up.
>
>is there a way to make the registered machine foward mail to the unregistered
>machines and provide a reply back to any queries for the unregistered
>machines?
>
>i am not sure if this is called spoofing or not..
>

>here is what i thought might work....
>
>making registered machine gateway=YES in rc.conf
>editing /etc/hosts to include these machines (already do)
>editing /etc/aliases to point to these machines somehow.
>
>what do you suggest. if possible?

The registered machine (I assume this sits between your private net and the
rest of the world) should also be running natd or something similar to hide
your unregistered addresses.

Set up sendmail on the other machines to do nothing but forward to the
gateway machine.  There is a 'null' config in the sendmail cf tree that
will do this for you.  You will probably want to set some/all of the
masquerading options on the gateway sendmail so that all mail goes out as
from that machine.

People outside of your private net will of course only be able to mail to
your gateway box, as they can't tell that the other machines exist.  Was
there a particular need for mail to be delivered to individual machines?

You really don't want any of your private IP's or unregistered names
leaking out into the Internet at large.  It tends to irritate people.

HTH,

	Scott.