Date:      Thu, 22 Jul 2010 08:32:30 -0700
From:      Chip Camden <sterling@camdensoftware.com>
To:        ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: MASTER_SITE defined by google search result

--tThc/1wpZn/ma/RB

Quoth Emanuel Haupt on Thursday, 22 July 2010:
> Usually when I find that a port can't fetch the according distfile I
> simply google for the distfile with the following search string (e.g.
> for rsync):
>=20
> 	intitle:"index of" rsync-3.0.7.tar.gz
>=20
> This approach almost always delivers plenty of results. I then manually
> download one of the results into my DISTDIR and restart the normal
> build process which then automatically takes care of the integrity
> (checksum, size) of the distfile(s).
>=20
> I thought, why not automate this and I came up with a simple perl
> script (requires www/p5-Google-Search):
>=20
> http://people.freebsd.org/~ehaupt/distfile-search/distfile-search
>=20
> Adding the following make magic to /etc/make.conf
>=20
> # distfile search
> .if defined(DISTFILE_SEARCH_BACKUP)
> pre-fetch-script:
> MASTER_SITE_BACKUP+=3D    `/root/bin/distfile-search ${ALLFILES}`
> .elif defined(DISTFILE_SEARCH_OVERRIDE)
> pre-fetch-script:
> MASTER_SITE_OVERRIDE=3D   `/root/bin/distfile-search ${ALLFILES}`
> .endif
>=20
> will let you choose whether you want to overwrite the pre defined
> MASTER_SITES:
>=20
> root@foo: /usr/ports/x11/xorg/ $ make -DDISTFILE_SEARCH_OVERRIDE fetch
>=20
> or add the search result as backup MASTER_SITES:
>=20
> root@foo: /usr/ports/x11/xorg/ $ make -DDISTFILE_SEARCH_BACKUP fetch
>=20
> In the later example you even might want to define
> DISTFILE_SEARCH_BACKUP globally.
>=20
> As a proof of concept I was able to download all distfiles for x11/xorg
> with this method (make -DDISTFILE_SEARCH_OVERRIDE fetch-recursive).
>=20
> Please let me know what you think.
>=20
> Emanuel

Pretty cool!  Of course, if DISTFILE_SEARCH_BACKUP is defined, make will
always execute a search even if it isn't needed -- but it appears to be
fast so perhaps that isn't a problem.

--=20
Sterling (Chip) Camden    | sterling@camdensoftware.com | 2048D/3A978E4F
http://camdensoftware.com | http://chipstips.com        | http://chipsquips=