Date:      Sun, 11 Feb 2001 18:00:10 -0700
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        "Michael C . Wu" <keichii@peorth.iteration.net>
Cc:        "Forrest W. Christian" <forrestc@imach.com>, freebsd-small@FreeBSD.ORG, dillon@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Sans-Swap VM Subsystem Questions

In message <20010211185852.F19845@peorth.iteration.net> "Michael C . Wu" writes:
: The general idea is that many parts of FreeBSD sometimes count on
: having swap and such.  Can you use some part of the flash disk for
: swap?
: i.e. if (no_swap == TRUE) {bad_things_happen(); return ENOTVERYGOOD;}

NO YOU CANNOT SWAP TO FLASH.  It will wear the part out too quickly if
you try.

We've been running off of FLASH with no swap for the better part of a
year and nothing bad has happened to us.  We make sure, however, that
we put as much RAM into these boxes as we can to avoid the low memory
situations that can lead to problems.

Warner