Date:      Sat, 10 Aug 2002 00:30:24 -0400
From:      parv <parv_fm@emailgroups.net>
To:        Ronneil Camara <neil@restricted.dyndns.org>
Cc:        FreeBSD-STABLE@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: What do you think about STABLE?

in message <20020810035015.17253.qmail@ns1.onie.yi.org>,
wrote Ronneil Camara thusly...

> Actually, the reason why I wanted to upgrade to 4.6-STABLE is
> because the perl that comes with my 4.5-STABLE is only version
> 5.005_03.

if that's the only reason, why not install perl from the ports in
/usr/ports/lang/perl5 (v5.6; there is also v5.8 in
/usr/ports/lang/perl5.8)?

after installing ports tree -- see the freebsd handbook for details
somewhere on freebsd.org website -- all you would have to do is
type...

  # cd /usr/ports/lang/perl5
  # { make && make test && make install } 2>&1 | tee log

...after that you may want to run files/use.perl, that will be
mentioned at the end of the install, to create/fix symlinks to newer
version.

refer to -questions & -stable lists archives for issues related to
perl from ports & perl from freebsd os.

  - parv