Date:      Wed, 20 Feb 2002 11:10:27 +0100
From:      Brad Knowles <brad.knowles@skynet.be>
To:        "Mike Meyer" <mwm-dated-1014624071.e0f677@mired.org>, "Crist J. Clark" <cjc@freebsd.org>
Cc:        chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Interesting Comment about Mac OS X

At 2:01 AM -0600 2002/02/20, Mike Meyer wrote:

>  Well, others know better than I, but I thought Mac OS X used the Mach
>  kernel along with the BSD layer and FreeBSD's userland code. NeXT was
>  based on the Mach kernel. It may well be that Apple used the NeXT
>  version of the Mach kernel.

	In the list of responses to
<http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=02/02/18/0248248>, we find the
following:

>>  Re:No
>>
>>  by MaxVlast on Mon 18 Feb 03:20PM (Score:4, Interesting) (#3026255)
>>  (User #103795 Info) http://www.sla.to/ [ Neutral ]
>>
>>  Do you know what that means? "Based on NeXT" doesn't mean anything.
>>  NeXT was a company.
>>
>>  Mac OS X is based on OpenStep 4.2, which, itself, was based on
>>  NEXTSTEP 3.3. NEXTSTEP is a BSD operating system running on a
>>  modified version of the Mach microkernel. OpenStep is a API
>>  specification and a set of libraries that conforms to that API.
>>  OpenStep 4.2 (the operating system) is an implementation of those
>>  libraries on top of NEXTSTEP.
>>
>>  When Apple bought NeXT, they planned to build on top of OpenStep.
>>  They first produced Rhapsody for PPC and Rhapsody for Intel. They
>>  were the same OS running on two hardware platforms. On top of
>>  Rhapsody, Apple put the Blue Box, which was a Macintosh
>>  compatibility environment. At no time was there any need for a "BSD
>>  compatibility layer." It was all software running on top of BSD.
>>  Apple then killed Rhapsody for Intel (and the Yellow Box, but that's
>>  tangential.)
>>
>>  What was left was released as Mac OS Server.
>>
>>  Mac OS X 10.0 and Mac OS Server 10.0 (and further versions) are also
>>  BSD operating systems. They have the Cocoa (OpenStep) and Carbon
>>  libraries available, and the imaging system is called Aqua
>>  (replacement for Display PostScript.) At no point in any of this is
>>  there a need for any UNIX compatibility layer, as it is all real
>>  UNIX. The only compatibility environment necessary is for Mac OS 9
>>  (Classic.) Only certain older applications (Carbon) can run natively
>>  on OS X, so for running non-Carbon apps, Mac OS 9 is run in a
>>  compatibility environment (similar, but not the same as VMWare.)
>>
>>  I hope that clarifies things.
>>
>>  --
>>  There should be a moratorium on the use of the apostrophe.
>>  Max V.
>>  NeXTMail/MIME Mail welcome

	This is the best description I've seen yet of the various
underpinnings of the MacOS X operating system.

--
Brad Knowles, <brad.knowles@skynet.be>

Do you hate Microsoft?  Do you hate Outlook?  Then visit the Anti-Outlook
page at <http://www.rodos.net/outlook/>; and see how much fun you can have.