Date:      Thu, 24 Jul 2008 18:42:47 -0400
From:      jt <unk.nown@unix.net>
To:        Nenhum_de_Nos <matheus@eternamente.info>
Cc:        Zamri Besar <zam4ever@gmail.com>, Jeremy Chadwick <koitsu@freebsd.org>, freebsd-hackers <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>, freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Laptop suggestions?

On Thu, Jul 24, 2008 at 5:04 PM, Nenhum_de_Nos <matheus@eternamente.info>
wrote:

> On Thu, July 24, 2008 17:21, Jeremy Chadwick wrote:

> >> sigh,

> >> for
> >> >

> >> If cost is not a big problem, then IBM/Lenovo Thinkpad Series (I prefer
> >> T-series) is the best from my past experiences. And you may check
> >> following
> >> articles for further tips/advices:
> >>
> >> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/articles/laptop/index.html
> >> http://laptop.bsdgroup.de/freebsd/
> >> http://tuxmobil.org/mobile_bsd.html
> >>
> >> and off-course, freebsd-mobile archive:
> >
> > And if you go with Lenovo, be aware that their T60/T60p/T61/T61p series
> > (and possibly the X-series) are known to sport very high temperatures.
> > Some people have reported temperatures of nearly 90C on their GPU (when
> > idling), which has a direct effect on the overall temperature of the CPU
> > (due to close proximity) and so on.  This requires the fan to be on at
> > almost all times (usually low-speed mode).  Others have it worse (the
> > laptop literally shutting off in the middle of operation):

> > Many of these laptops emit a strange high-pitch electrical noise which
> > fluxuates in frequency and amplitude; of course, a lot of people can't
> > hear it, which is good for them.  This was tracked down to some power
> > saving features listed in the BIOS (of both the CPU and the chipset),
> > which you can disable:
> > http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Problem_with_high_pitch_noises
> >
> > Be sure to look at http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Category:T60p,
> > specifically the very bottom of the page.  You'll notice a very large
> > number of problem entries.  A lot of them have no real response from
> > Lenovo.
> >
> > Draw your own conclusions.
> >
> > --
> > | Jeremy Chadwick                                jdc at parodius.com |
> > | Parodius Networking                       http://www.parodius.com/ |
> > | UNIX Systems Administrator                  Mountain View, CA, USA |
> > | Making life hard for others since 1977.              PGP: 4BD6C0CB |

> "
>
> My Asus F3T behaves very alike. The GPU gets too much hot and then
> everything else suffers. Although I never saw any temperature based forced
> shutdown, I can't say its impossible. Well, I read in the net that Turions
> are really much hotter, but when running windows and some linux it is not
> that hot.
>
> apart from this, and the last year harddisk load_cycle-will-kill-your-hd
> bug, everything but the sound volume works fine. Atheros wifi is ok, nfe
> based ethernet is ok, just never had any device to test bluetooth. the
> nVidia vga also runs fine.
>
> matheus
>

> --
> We will call you cygnus,
> The God of balance you shall be

all,   I'm currently running a lenovo x61 tablet without much complaint -- i
*do* notice that it gets hot from time to time -- its much better if its run
on desk rather than a lap ;p -- ACPI is still a little shaky -- if you plan
on getting a iwi miniPCI -- namely 4965 and the like there IS a driver for
it and it currently is in -CURRENT -- you can also patch this to 7.0 with
the perforce code -- both of those should be readily available on the
freebsd page wiki -- i would recommend tracking current if i were on a
laptop since more things are getting merged in the development and i find
freebsd moving towards a more mobile and desktop world even though we are
still focused on servers -- i expect you will not get sleep working since
its easier i find for it to sleep than wake up -- thinkpads seem to work
well and in my experience i find more and more programmers and open source
oriented people getting them -- the nature of the projects sort of make
people write code and drivers for the hardware that they have instead of
just randomly supporting other machines -- subscribing to the acpi list
might not be a bad idea -- i would poke them as well for a few hints if
suspend is a huge deal for you -- hope this helps a bit

respectfully

--
jt