Date:      Wed, 12 Nov 2008 16:04:52 +0100
From:      Ivan Voras <ivoras@freebsd.org>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 5.4 - filesystem full

Varshavchick Alexander wrote:
> I have an old enough server with FreeBSD 5.4 which from time to time
> complains about filesystem full. But the problem is that the partition
> in question has about 15G free space and more than 10000000 free inodes.
> Then all by itself the error dissapears, only to be repeated several
> hours later. What can it be and where to look? The server runs mainly
> apache and sendmail, nothing special.

I don't know for sure, but here's some generic troubleshooting:

a) Are you 100% sure there isn't an application that periodically fills
the drive? This would be easiest to solve - all other problems are worse.
b) How is your IO rate at the time you run out of space?
c) Did you try fsck-ing the file system?
d) Why can't you upgrade to a more recent version of FreeBSD, like 7.1?