Date:      Mon, 06 Sep 1999 05:19:26 -0500
From:      "Jeffrey J. Mountin" <jeff-ml@mountin.net>
To:        John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: buildword curiousities

At 06:48 PM 9/5/99 -0700, John Polstra wrote:
>Jeffrey J. Mountin wrote:
>>
>> I am aware of this, but it's 17 hops over to cvsup6, 15 to cvsup2 and
>> cvsup3, 19 to cvsup5,
>
>Yow.  Time for a new ISP. :-)

No.  Time for a better meshed NSP in between.  When 10 of the hops are
bbnplanet and alter.net, it's pretty ugly.  You're 13 away (about average),
but only 1 bbnplanet and 6 verio's. <shrug>

>> which have become a bit crowded the past month of so
>> and cvsup5 was not listed when I last checked.
>
>CVSup5 is the same as cvsup4 currently.

I'll stick with #6 for now and see if I can duplicate a hang.

>> With bbnplanet (and AT&T) in the path *and* since it happens during
>> day mostly I'd rather think it's a network hiccup.
>
>Sounds like it.

Something I'd almost count on, which is why I asked if others had problems
or delays.  Then again if the upstream has poor peering...

>Or remove the "-P" option entirely.  The default in 16.0 is "-P m".

May change the flag back, things have gone well the past few days. ;)

Usually only pull things once a week, but with a release coming tend to
pull and build more often.  Once things settle and a slew of changes
accumulate it's more likely to happen.

FYI, started using #6 on Aug 5th and on the 25th was when I first had a
problem.  No changes were done to the setup either hardware or software,
since the last buildworld on the Aug 5th.  And amazingly didn't pull
anything during that time, so the number of changes was large.

>It puts each one in the same directory where the real file will end
>up.  Then it uses rename(2) to move it atomically into place after it
>has been checked for validity.  There's some code that attempts to
>clean up a temp file if you kill the program in the middle.  Usually
>it works.

And how is the temp file named?  Should be clean, but if it happens again
it would be nice to be able to search for them.

>If you have a pre-mangled file whose size and timestamp are correct,
>CVSup won't check it until the next time it wants to update the file
>-- that is, the next time somebody changes it in the repository.  That
>could be a long time.

The size wasn't off, AFAICR, just a lot of odd character subs.  The version
on the CD was OK.  Points to hardware.  Thought that CVSup went by the
version# and size.

Learned quick that when you modify source that is CVSup'd, it a GoodIdea to
keep things elsewhere.

Jeff Mountin - jeff@mountin.net
Systems/Network Administrator
FreeBSD - the power to serve