Date:      Fri, 2 Aug 1996 23:01:04 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@riley-net170-164.uoregon.edu>
To:        "Jose Olavio C. B. Felicio Junior" <microetc@microetc.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org, olavio@microetc.com
Subject:   Re: New to FreeBSD

On Fri, 2 Aug 1996, Jose Olavio C. B. Felicio Junior wrote:

> Hi,
> Congratulations on the Best Unix system I ever saw for Intel Machines.
> I'm installing FreeBSD.
> It seems very easy, at this point I have FTP,TELNET and Apache working.
> I'm using 2.1.0 release.
> and I really need the ircd on this machine, I tryied adding the package:
> "Message: Unable to fetch package irc-2.8.21 from selected media(ftp.freebsd.org).
> No Package add will be done."

How did you add it?

Try FTPing the package from ftp.freebsd.org and using 'pkg_add' from the
command line to add it.

> Then I try to run ircd and can't.
> If I try as root:
> "ERROR: do not run ircd setuid root. Make it setuid a normal user."
> If I try as user:
> "chdir: Permission denied"

You need to follow the instructions.  I would run 'chown daemon ircd'
(maybe nobody?) to make it setuid daemon instead of root.  Running it as
root is a security hole (and running it at all probably is too :) ).

> I'm trying to fix those problem for one week, and was unable to do it work!
> I tryied adding in inetd.conf :
> irc 	stream 	tcp 	wait	root( tryed others too)	/etc/ircd	ircd -i

That's OK, as long as that's what you're supposed to do to install it (ie,
it doesn't run as a standalone daemon like httpd).