Date:      Thu, 11 Jul 2002 20:09:02 +0200
From:      Steve O'Hara-Smith <steve@sohara.org>
To:        jim@nasby.net
Cc:        laursen@netgroup.dk, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Software raid 1 on root partition?

On Thu, 11 Jul 2002 09:10:15 -0500
"Jim C. Nasby" <jim@nasby.net> wrote:

JCN> No, there is no support for software raid on the root partition. This is
JCN> on the vinum wishlist, though, so hopefully it will happen at some

	Er - have you seen man atacontrol in RELENG_4 lately ? I will
quote the most pertinent extract:

     Allthough the ATA driver allows for creating an ATA RAID on
     disks on any controller, there are restrictions. It is only pos­
     sible to boot on an array if its either located on a "real" ATA
     RAID controller like the Promise or Highpoint controllers, or if
     the RAID declared is of RAID1 or SPAN type, in case of a SPAN
     the partition to boot must reside on the first disk in the SPAN

	So the answer is - yes you can.

--
C:>WIN                                          |     Directable Mirrors
The computer obeys and wins.                    |A Better Way To Focus The Sun