Date:      Wed, 7 Jan 2004 14:22:27 +0200
From:      Panagiotis Astithas <past@noc.ntua.gr>
To:        Tim Robbins <tjr@freebsd.org>, Fabrizio Parrella <fabrizio@nldesign.com>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: mount / umount

On Wednesday 07 January 2004 13:58, Tim Robbins wrote:
> Fabrizio Parrella wrote:
> ># sysctl vfs.usermount
> >vfs.usermount: 1
> >
> >any other ideas?
>
> Make sure that msdosfs support is compiled into the kernel or has been
> loaded as a module before you try to mount the filesystem as a normal
> user. (This is a semi-FAQ; see
> http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=freebsd-current&m=107240592221911&w=2)

Interestingly though, this doesn't seem to work in my case. I have compiled in
support for msdosfs, ntfs, libiconv, libmchain, msdosfs_iconv & ntfs_iconv. I
have also set vfs.usermount=1, put myself in the wheel & operator groups and
made group rw the device files and mountpoints.

I still get an "Operation not permitted error" when I try to access the ntfs
partition for instance. What else could be affecting things?
--
Panagiotis Astithas
Electrical & Computer Engineer, PhD