Date:      Sat, 07 Jul 2001 21:06:17 -0700
From:      Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems Group <Cy.Schubert@uumail.gov.bc.ca>
To:        Bert Driehuis <driehuis@playbeing.org>
Cc:        "J.Goodleaf" <john@goodleaf.net>, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Benchmarks from SysAdmin mag

In message <Pine.BSI.4.21.0107080307250.29990-100000@c1111.nl.compuware.
com>, B
ert Driehuis writes:
> On Sun, 8 Jul 2001, J.Goodleaf wrote:
>
> > I lack the technical expertise to judge this article fully. Any thoughts?
> > FreeBSD comes out at the bottom, _below_ Win2K.
> >
> > http://www.samag.com/articles/2001/0107/0107a/0107a.htm
>
> >From the article:
>
> "If disk I/O occupies a significant run-time portion of your
> application, your disk I/O tasks will run up to 10x faster on Linux and
> Windows 2000, when compared to Solaris, or 6x faster than FreeBSD."
>
> Knowing that e-mail is the app under measurement, it is worth pointing
> out that the article mentions that file systems make a hell of a
> difference, but is silent about tweaking the file system, and why some
> filesystems are slower than others.
>
> If you don't enable softupdates on FreeBSD, mail delivery takes a
> significant hit. Conversely, Linux's EXT2 file system may be fast, but
> it is not robust with respect to file system integrity, so running a
> heavily loaded mail server will result in loss of mail if the server
> crashes.
>
> The article doesn't mention if they checked the disk was properly
> configured either. If SCSI tagging is not used, performance will suffer
> too. Etcetera, etcetera.
>
> Maybe the authors have done some homework in this area, but if they did,
> the article doesn't show it. I hate these quicky consumer tests. I
> remember, too vididly, that a Dutch consumer rag once concluded that a
> Mac was an order of magnitude slower than a contemporary PC because MS
> Word ran slow on it. Turned out they ran Windows under VirtualPC on
> that Mac...

... To add to what you've just said,

Magazines like to play games, especially those little games that
compare apples and oranges.  It was DES who two years ago wrote on this
list (I'm quoting from memory), "what you read in the media is true,
until it's something you know about."

What's my point?  Marketing.  Yes, marketing.

1.  Softupdates has been around for a while.  Many of us, including
    myself, use softupdates on critical production systems on a daily
    basis, AND on root filesystems.  Should not softupdates be the
    default?  If not the default, at least an option in sysinstall?

2.  Write caching can under the right set of circumstances have a
    detrimental affect on RAS (Reliability, Availability, and
    Serviceability).  That's why IDE write caching is turned off
    by default.  Those of us who have been following the write caching
    arguments on this list over the past 12 months or so, have learned
    how to turn off write caching on SCSI drives as well.  However,
    turning off write back cache (enabling write through cache) does
    have a detrimental affect on performance.  I think that for
    marketing purposes, e.g. magazines writing articles that compare
    filesystem performance, a sysinstall option to enable filesystem
    performance -- turn on write caching -- at the expense of RAS --
    and make it abundantly clear to the user that their data is at
    risk -- might go a long way to reducing bad press when filesystems
    are compared.  Once again before people forget (we have short
    memories) let me stress that a sysinstall option to turn on write
    back cache should have strong words discouraging selection of the
    option but should also outline the performance benefit.  Of course
    this allows the average uneducated end-user to shoot themselves in
    the foot, and lord knows we've had enough discussions about this
    concept on the various FreeBSD mailing lists over the years.

For those of us technically adept enough to successfully buildworld,
this is just fluff, as enabling softupdates and disabling/enabling
write back cache on IDE (via loader) and SCSI (via camcontrol) drives
is trivial and hardly worth discussion.  However when it comes to the
media and the masses, perception is reality (even though we know
better).  In short our choice is, do we want to give the user yet
another option with its benefits and pitfalls or do we want to coddle
the end user to protect them from themselves?

Regards,                         Phone:  (250)387-8437
Cy Schubert                        Fax:  (250)387-5766
Team Leader, Sun/Alpha Team   Internet:  Cy.Schubert@osg.gov.bc.ca
Open Systems Group, ITSD, ISTA
Province of BC