Date:      Tue, 30 Jul 2002 15:20:45 -0400 (EDT)
From:      John Bleichert <syborg@stny.rr.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Changing my Shell & Customizing the Console

On Tue, 30 Jul 2002, MET wrote:
> Date: Tue, 30 Jul 2002 15:05:45 -0400
> From: MET <met@uberstats.com>
> To: freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
> Subject: Changing my Shell & Customizing the Console
>
> I'm currently using the default installed shell "sh" and was wondering
> how to change my users to the "bash" shell.  I've installed it using
> packages so it should be on my machine correctly, but that's as far as I
> know.

Users can change their own shell by using the chsh(1) command. They can
also modify other personal data with this. I believe you can set this at
user creation time with the adduser(8) utility. See its man page.

> Also, I've connected into a few web servers through telnet and have
> noticed that you can create a color-scheme for different file types, and
> was wondering how to set this up myself.
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Do you mean syntax highlighting in an editor, such as vim? Or as the
result of an ls command?

/*
 * John Bleichert
 * syborg@stny.rr.com