Date:      Mon, 4 Nov 1996 10:19:13 +0100 (MEZ)
From:      "Hr.Ladavac" <lada@ws2301.gud.siemens.co.at>
To:        lesliel@concentric.net
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD vs. Linux

E-mail message from Leslie L contained:
> Hello!
>
> I have a question for you.  I have been fooling around with Linux for
> more than a year now and I am kind of disappointed.  I have tried time
> and time again to log onto the internet in Linux and have failed at
> every attempt.  I am not a rocket scientist nor am I a programmer but I
> am not stupid either. However I do like the Unix environment better than
> any other.  For the most part the Linux documentation is poorly written.
>
> My question for you is - How is Free BSD opposed to Linux when it comes
> to being able to log onto the net?
>
>   I can't believe that with all the programmers that work on Linux that
> Bill Gates has a more simple configuration for getting on to the
> internet.

As far as I am concerned, user space PPP daemon on FreeBSD is, in its
ease of use, comparable to the one on Win95.

You would be well advised to read the manpage on ppp.

Unlike Win95, you practically *have* to write a login script, but it's
just as easy as with Windows.  I had no problems so far, and the daemon
dials in automatically as soon as you connect, etc.

Feel free to mail me back if you should have any problems.

/Marino