Date:      Tue, 20 Nov 2001 23:31:36 -0800
From:      Peter Wemm <peter@wemm.org>
To:        "Calvin G." <calvin@insync.net>
Cc:        freebsd-smp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SMP with Proliant 1600???

"Calvin G." wrote:

> 4.4 install went well, except for when I re-compiled the kernel with SMP
> support. It is now hanging on boot. I have noticed this has been a problem
> in later versions but they said they fixed it. I have submited a problem
> report but I thought I would also ask around and see if anyone else has
> had this problem.
>
> Details...

Not enough.. More dmesg is required.  Also, boot -v.
If I had to guess, I'd say that you selected "Other" as the OS type.  If
so, Dont Do That.  Select either Windows NT or Linux.  If you dont select
an OS that Compaq deem to have SMP support, it partly disables some of the
SMP hardware and causes this sort of lockup.

Cheers,
-Peter