Date:      Tue, 4 Jun 2002 21:02:43 +0200
From:      Mark Rowlands <mark.rowlands@minmail.net>
To:        Eric Boucher <eric_boucher60@yahoo.com>, FreeBSD <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: SQL question: how to find in all tables?

On Tuesday 04 June 2002 7:28 pm, Eric Boucher wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I have 2 questions for you guys regarding Sql (I have to say that I'm a=
    =20
> total newbie in that field). I have search over the internet in some   =
   =20
> tutorials, but I didn't found the answer:
>
> 1.
> Is it possible to list every table that contains a certain name in a co=
lumn:=20
> for example, suppose that I  know that I have a couple of table which h=
as a=20
> column  that has this column in it.

dunno which sort of sqlyou are referring to but with mysql, you could use=
 perl=20
/ dbi  to dig this info out or  just run

mysqldump -d  -u someuser  -p  -A=20

will dump all table descriptions for all databases.

> 2.
> Is it possible to list every table and column that has
> an entry, for example, if I want to know the exact
> tables and column where the word "toto" is listed.

hhm..  you mean any  in any field in any record of any table of any datab=
ase=20
that has the string "toto"  in it somewhere?=20

yes, but depending on the database size. it might take a while :-)
again...mysql specific but have a look at

 http://mysql.turbolift.com/mysql/DBD_3.21.X.php3=20