Date:      Tue, 04 Apr 2006 19:32:49 -0500
From:      Kevin Kinsey <kdk@daleco.biz>
To:        Chuck Swiger <cswiger@mac.com>
Cc:        Marlon Martin <mmp013@gmail.com>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: cron question

Chuck Swiger wrote:

>Marlon Martin wrote:
>

>>i created a simple shell script:
>>
>>filename: rn
>>
>>#!/bin/sh
>>rndc dumpdb
>>
>>what it does, is just dump the hostname and IP addresses in /var/dump
>>i set the time in 2 minutes but when i checked the logs, it doesnt work any
>>idea what did i missed here?
>>

>You forgot to use the full path to rndc in your shell script.  You should not
>assume that the $PATH cron passes you is going to have that command available.

And furthermore, you edited /etc/crontab or something similar
instead of using crontab(1) to edit /var/cron/tabs/root.  Nitpicky,
to be sure, but the cause of many a heartache:

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/books/faq/admin.html#ROOT-NOT-FOUND-CRON-ERRORS

 ... not sure if this one's affected you or not, but I'm wondering....

Kevin Kinsey

--
Acid absorbs 47 times its own weight in excess Reality.