Date:      Tue, 8 May 2001 12:33:21 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Chuck Rouillard <chuckr@opus.sandiegoca.ncr.com>
To:        Sue Blake <sue@welearn.com.au>
Cc:        Darren Wyn Rees <merlin@netlink.co.uk>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: rem*ve bootloader

On Tue, 8 May 2001, Sue Blake wrote:

> On Sun, May 06, 2001 at 11:29:17PM +0100, Darren Wyn Rees wrote:
> > How can I rem*ve the FreeBSD bootloader ?  I seem to have
> > accidentally installed it and it's getting in the way.

Try any number of DOS-type fdisk utilities and
do `fdisk /mbr'. Windows fdisk utilities may
work similarly. If you use FreeDOS, it will
install a similar boot manager (which you may
not want).

You may want to create a bootable DOS diskette
with the "Booteasy" DOS tools to both save and
restore bootsector information in the future.

> > I'm trying to set up a multiboot HD with
> > FreeBSD/OpenBSD/LinuxDistro1/LinuxDistro2/NetBSD/Windows2000.
>
> Umm... you're planning to put six (MSDOS-) partitions on one disk?

This would require (as a minimum) 5 primary
disk partitions but you're only allowed 4 on
any -one- diskdrive.

> > I've got Windows2000/LinuxDistro1/OpenBSD working okay thus far.
>
> You'll probably get it to do one more. Oh, wait, doesn't Linux
> use a couple of partitions itself? You might have used the maximum
> number of partitions already, if you're doing it all on a single disk.

It's possible to install Linux completely
inside a single primary ("extended") disk
partition of type 0x05 or 0x85.

.cr