Date:      Thu, 08 Feb 2007 06:54:57 -0600
From:      Eric Anderson <anderson@freebsd.org>
To:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@phk.freebsd.dk>
Cc:        Ivan Voras <ivoras@fer.hr>, freebsd-geom@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: New g_part class

On 02/08/07 04:33, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:
> In message <45CAFA66.3030800@fer.hr>, Ivan Voras writes:
>> Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:
>>> And just how does "the last sector" not occupy the same sector as
>>> the last sector of the last mounted partition ?
>> A joke? :)
>>
>> (in case it isn't: that's the point: it DOES, so people can't create
>> mirrors of live paritions. But, like I said, I realize there's no
>> elegant solution).
>
> The correct solution is a lot of code, and all you gain is that
> you save a single reboot.
>
> Ideal Computer Science Method:
>
> 	* use mount to tell filesystem to avoid last sector.
> 	* use gctl to tell slicer to reduce parition by last sector
> 	* implement new API so slicer can ask consumer (filesystem)
> 	    if reducing size is OK.
> 	* use gctl to tell slicer to avoid last sector.
> 	* use gctl to insert mirror class below slicer
> 	* use gctl to tell mirror class to write metadata
>
> Practically Sensible Method:
>
> 	* boot single user (possibly from CD)
> 	* use fsdb or growfs to reduce filesystem size

I didn't realize growfs let you shrink file systems.  I didn't see any
mention of this in the man page either.  If you know otherwise, can you
please fill us in, and/or update the man page?

Also - you are actually recommending using fsdb to modify a file system
as 'practically sensible'?  Heheh - that makes me giggle.

> 	* reduce partition size
> 	* use gmirror to write metadata
> 	* reboot

This certainly has been an interesting thread so far...

Eric