Date:      Fri, 25 Jul 1997 12:31:34 -0400
From:      Tod Luginbuhl <tod@science-guy.npt.nuwc.navy.mil>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        Hlinlin@aol.com
Subject:   Re: IBM ThinkPad 385D

>Tod Luginbuhl <tod@science-guy.npt.nuwc.navy.mil> says:
>: Hlinlin@aol.com asked...
>:
>: >  Is the current FreeBSD support ThinkPad 385D, especially its X window
>: >server for
>: >NeoMagic Inc. video chip with screen 800X600 which I purchase from Radio
>: >Shack?
>:
>: I believe the answer is yes with the PAO package installed.  The
>: web page for the PAO package is  http://Makefile.ORG/FreeBSD/PAO/.
>: The documentation discusses ThinkPads.

Jerry Alexandratos said...

>Actually, the answer should be yes and no.  Yes, FreeBSD will run on
>that machine, especially if using the PAO package.  Unfortunately,
>XFree86 doesn't support the NeoMagic video chipset, so no, X will not
>work.

Thanks Jerry!

Well, one solution for the NeoMagic video chipset is to order
AcceleratedX LX v3.1 Mobile Server for X from Xi Graphics.  Xi
Graphics website is http://www.xig.com.  AcceleratedX can be order
from the web page --- current price in the USA is $199.95.

Tod

Tod Luginbuhl                             email:  t.e.luginbuhl@ieee.org
Code 2121
Naval Undersea Warfare Center             Telephone: (401) 841-7505 x38241
1176 Howell Street                        FAX:       (401) 841-7453
Newport, Rhode Island
USA

"Don't argue with drunks and fanatics!" -- Sun Wolf (Barbara Hambly)