Date:      Sat, 9 May 1998 09:30:51 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        dyson@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        julian@whistle.com, joe.shevland@horizonti.com, marc@bowtie.nl, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Oracle 7 on FreeBSD

> > > I've just spoken to some of the parties involved with the NCI
> > > NC's down here in regard to Oracle 7 and FreeBSD. Now, going by
> > > what I was just told, FreeBSD _is_ definitely being discontinued 8(
> >
> > maybe you need to let john know the names of the people who
> > told you that as He's doing it and no-one has told him to stop
> > yet..
>
> There is a group of people working on *BSD in general.  FreeBSD is
> not dead here, and there is little that is showing that it is.  There
> are other products, but they don't affect the use of BSD.

Given the diametric opposition between Larry Ellison and Bill Gates,
I would be damned surprised if any group in Oracle at all was pinning
its hopes of success to a Microsoft provided platform.  It's pretty
obvious that doing so would give Microsoft the lever they need to pry,
byy way of gratuitous incompatability, more and more Oracle users
away from Oracle products to Microsoft products.

It would be tantamount to Sun announcing that they were only supporting
JAVA on WIN32.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---