Date:      Thu, 30 Jan 1997 16:13:24 -0800
From:      Craig Shaver <craig@progroup.com>
To:        Robert Chalmers <robert@nanguo.chalmers.com.au>
Cc:        bsd <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: dial OUT ppp. simple setup needed

Robert Chalmers wrote:

> Hi,
> As usual, the manpages, and the user manual give 5,000 options for doing
> anything, but all I want is a simple (basic) setup to dial out,
> establish a pp link, and have it autoredial in the event that the line
> drops.
>
> config should be simple. COM2, 28.8K modem, no incoming calls.
>
> can anyone please help with a simple setup file. if there is such a thing.
> I have to find a way around this bad Annex problem.
>
> thanks,
> Bob

Bob -- are you using kernel ppp?  Is this for a dedicated line?  Here is
what I do for my ppp dedicated line, and it works:

In rc.local:
------------------
echo "Starting ppp daemon"
/etc/ppp/ppp0.start &

---------------------

/etc/ppp/ppp0.start is:
=======================
#!/bin/sh
#
# PPPD Auto-Dialer script
#
# Note:

#  You *MUST* use -detach mode or else the pppd process will fork
#  into the background and you will get hundreds of pppd processes
#trying
#  to connect to the remote site.  The current behavior causes the line
#  re-dial when pppd fails, so it acts like a auto-dialer.
#
DEVICE=cuaa1

while `true`; do
    /usr/sbin/pppd -detach \
        connect 'chat -v -f /etc/ppp/isp.chat' $DEVICE 115200
    # If we fail, wait a little while for the line to settle down
    sleep 5
done
=======================

/etc/ppp/isp.chat is:
-----------------------
ABORT "NO CARRIER" ABORT BUSY "" A\pA\pA\pT OK ATZ0 OK
ATM1&C1&D2S95=3&W0 OK ATDT19995551234 CONNECT
 "" ogin: mumble1 ssword: mumble2
-------------------------
note!  this should be all on one line!  Your Modem May Vary!  This is
for a Cardinal 28.8 V.34.  ATDT19995551234 is your isp phone number.
And the last part is the login and password.
---------------------------

Finally /etc/ppp/options is:
---------------------------------------
debug
modem
crtscts
name catfish.progroup.com
remotename gw-3.isp.net
defaultroute

I hope this helps you get going.

--
Craig Shaver  (craig@progroup.com) (415)390-0654
Productivity Group POB 60458 Sunnyvale, CA  94088