Date:      Tue, 8 Aug 2006 20:16:16 -0300 (ADT)
From:      "Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@freebsd.org>
To:        Paul Schmehl <pauls@utdallas.edu>
Cc:        "Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@freebsd.org>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: BSDstats Project v2.0 ...

On Tue, 8 Aug 2006, Paul Schmehl wrote:

> Marc, I have a couple of questions.
>
> You use hostname and IP as a unique identifier for each host.  For that
> reason, I have not submitted any of our systems.  We use FreeBSD for
> sensitive security-related tasks, and we're loath to reveal that information.
> (When I submit or update ports, I always alter the uname information to
> "hostname.utdallas.edu" for that reason.)
>
> Can you tell me exactly what you do with those two pieces of data?  Is there
> any way that information would be accessible from the internet?

Absolutely nothing else we do with it ... it just gives us a unique key to
work with ... in fact, assuming each of your servers use a different IP,
there is no reason you couldn't do the uname trick above to hide the
hostname ...

Unless someone breaks into the server, or database, somehow, the data
isn't accessible ...

> Finally, it looks like your number one problem is going to be
> maintainence. Right now you're showing a ".x" and a "F.x" release.  Not
> sure if that's tampering or what, but it's obviously not legit.  You
> also have a sudden influx of hosts from Armenia.  Again, don't know if
> they're legit or not, but keeping up with that stuff is going to require
> eyes-on type manual labor.  I hope you've planned for that.

Have planned for it, and, in fact, am going to be making a couple of
extra changes to the schema to allow for cleaning it up easier ...

----