Date:      Thu, 6 Jan 2000 11:07:14 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug Ambrisko <ambrisko@whistle.com>
To:        David Gilbert <dgilbert@velocet.ca>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: BOOTP and IPFIREWALL

David Gilbert writes:
| options BOOTP and options IPFIREWALL appear to be incompatible in
| -CURRENT.  I havn't tried -STABLE.  While the kernel compiles fine,
| the BOOTP code fails to send the discover packet and panic()'s.
|
| While it might not be immediately obvious that you'd want IPFIREWALL
| in a BOOTP-loaded machine, there are good reasons for it...

They are not really incompatible just your use is :-)  Add
  options         IPFIREWALL_DEFAULT_TO_ACCEPT    #allow everything by default
to your kernel.  IPFW stuff is blocking any network traffic.  So add
this to your kernel and you firewall will default to open so BOOT etc
will work (including nfs mounting of root & swap), then during the
boot use the rc.firewall stuff to setup the firewall correct and then
remove the default open rule.

This is what I've done when playing with natd on a netbooted machine.
(natd require ipfw & divert).

If this fails it's news to me.

Doug A.