Date:      Tue, 27 Oct 2009 14:50:06 -0700
From:      "David Christensen" <davidch@broadcom.com>
To:        "Tom Judge" <tom@tomjudge.com>, "net@freebsd.org" <net@freebsd.org>
Cc:        "pyunyh@gmail.com" <pyunyh@gmail.com>, "rwilliams@borderware.com" <rwilliams@borderware.com>, Xin LI <delphij@delphij.net>, Stanislav Sedov <stas@deglitch.com>, Gideon Naim <gideon.naim@broadcom.com>
Subject:   RE: bce(4) BCM5907 CTX write errors on 7.2 driver

> Has anyone seen these errors before:
>=20
> http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=3D135836&cat=3D
>=20
> The system is a Dell R610 and it happens on both cold and warm boots.
>=20
> I am about to check a second chassis, and test with 8, and=20
> will follow up after my tests.

Yes, I've seen these errors on a Dell r710.  The problem is related
to an interaction between the FreeBSD driver and the bootcode firmware
on the BCM5709 controller which can cause the bootcode firmware to=20
enable certain hardware blocks in the chip while the FreeBSD driver is=20
attempting to reset the device.  This allows RX traffic to enter the=20
controller before the device is fully initialized.

The fix is to upgrade the BCM5709 bootcode to version 5.02 or later.
I'm checking if Dell has posted updated firmware which can address
the problem.

Dave=