Date:      Sun, 28 Apr 2002 15:19:38 -0400
From:      Christopher Masto <chris@masto.com>
To:        "Jeremy C. Reed" <reed@reedmedia.net>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org

On Wed, Apr 10, 2002 at 09:44:22AM -0700, Jeremy C. Reed wrote:
> I am looking for a mailing list:

If you're still working on your summary, we've been using Sympa
<http://listes.cru.fr/sympa/>; for a while to run quite a few lists.  I
have some answers and comments.

> - manage via email (web-based management not required)

Yes.

> - users aren't forced to use a password to unsubscribe

Probably.  (Configurable, but not a configuration I use.)

> - detect hard bounces and unsubscribe as needed

Sort of.  This works for welcome and reminder messages, but the
actual list messages don't use unique bounce addresses.  They _are_
collected, analyzed, and summarized through the web interface, but
sometimes the software can't identify the bouncing address.

> - has a reasonable good track record of non-security issues.

I don't think it's well-known enough to have been thoroughly looked
at from a security standpoint.  At a minimum, it doesn't have any
obvious gaping problems.

> - lightweight, but perl is okay (that doesn't make sense :)

Sympa is written in Perl.

Comments:

Sympa is from France.  While it is designed with localization built
in, the current English translations are not very good.  (I wish I had
the time to fix them.)  While it seems extremely stable and quite
efficient once running, I always have to fix a couple of problems to
get it running.  The code is quite messy and not well organized (lots
of copy-and-paste -- I've noticed that when fixing bugs, I often have
to fix the same bug for each command).

We got into Sympa mainly because I had a huge grudge against Majordomo.
I don't know what I'd choose now -- I don't like Mailman, I very much
dislike ezmlm, and I haven't explored Majordomo 2.

One thing recent versions of Sympa have is a fairly complete web
interface.  Although you can do all the normal things via e-mail,
the web frontend is nice for relative newbies.  It includes virtually
all list configuration, moderation, etc.  You can still edit the
config files by hand.
--
"Contemplate the mangled bodies of your countrymen, and then say, What
should be the reward of such sacrifices? ... If ye love wealth better

CB461C61 8AFC E3A8 7CE5 9023 B35D  C26A D849 1F6E CB46 1C61