Date:      Tue, 27 Nov 2001 12:34:57 -0500
From:      Jeffrey Meltzer <jeffrey@exobit.org>
To:        freebsd-emulation@freebsd.org
Subject:   linux emulation dns problem

I've installed the linux emulation (linux_base-7) on one of my 4.4-STABLE
machines.  Linux programs startup ok, but if they need to resolve a
hostname, it fails.  If I add a host to /etc/hosts, it works fine.  I
checked /compat/linux/etc/host.conf and /compat/linux/etc/nsswitch.conf,
and both look fine.  Resolution works perfectly with everything on
FreeBSD.

I downloaded the bind-utils rpm from redhat so i could have nslookup, and
this has a problem.  I've no idea if it's related to the general
resolution problems or not.
root@saturn [linux]# /compat/linux/usr/bin/nslookup www.google.com
Note:  nslookup is deprecated and may be removed from future releases.
Consider using the `dig' or `host' programs instead.  Run nslookup with
the `-sil[ent]' option to prevent this message from appearing.
socket.c:1291: setsockopt(7, SO_BSDCOMPAT) failed: Invalid argument
socket.c:1308: setsockopt(7, SO_TIMESTAMP) failed: Invalid argument
netaddr.c:231: INSIST(0) failed.
Abort

Has anyone seen this, or have a clue to what I may have missed?

Thanks!

Jeff