Date:      Tue, 13 Jun 2006 15:46:09 +0100
From:      Alex Zbyslaw <xfb52@dial.pipex.com>
To:        Marcus Watts <mdw@umich.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: wikipedia article [completely OT]

Marcus Watts wrote:

>  Masscomp sold a machine
>like this once.

Masscomp did a lot of things.  They produced a machine which required an
engineer to come out twice a month to shift everything around on the
backplane until it worked again; they instituted such user friendly
features as a restore command which couldn't restore directories with
"too many" entries; and in the interests of their users made the root
directory world writeable so that "rm /*" by a prankish luser would
actually work (luckily they didn't think of rm -r).  I once filed
something like 30 bug and security reports in one day.  I heard nothing
until Masscomp were taken over several years later, at which point is
was my pleasure to inform the caller that the machine was in the skip.
Happy days :-)

--Alex