Date:      Sun, 31 May 2020 15:50:45 -0300
From:      "Dr. Rolf Jansen" <freebsd@cyclaero.com>
To:        Oskar Holmlund <oskar.holmlund@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-arm@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: BeagleBone AI

<freebsd@cyclaero.com> skrev:=20
>>=20
>>=20
>> First Question:
>>=20
>> What modern SBC with more than 1 I=C2=B2C bus and which can run =
FreeBSD 13++ would you suggest?
>>=20
>>=20
>> Two more Questions:
>>=20
>> Is it reasonable to assume that FreeBSD would run on a BBAI in the =
future, let=E2=80=99s say in 2 to 3 years?
>>=20
>> Perhaps I could help porting FreeBSD to a BBAI. What would be the =
general steps?
>>=20
>>=20
>> Many thanks in advance for any suggestions, advices and =
clarifications.
>>=20
>> Best regards
>>=20
>> Rolf
>=20
> I'm also into industrial embedded systems, we currently use am3358 and =
in our roadmap we have a plan to use am57xx in the future. We build our =
own custom hardware and dont use Beaglebone* in the products.
>=20
> First question; have a quick look at the hardware documentation from =
the SoCs vendor listed insys/arm and sys/arm64. If you like the =
structure of the documentation talk to the vendor and see if you can get =
the product life time your project needs, do the support organisation =
give some kind of design review of schematics...do the support =
organisation "know" something about the BSDs? :)
> I think its good if you can fix problems in the future on your own due =
to the lack of manpower in freebsd@arm as both Ian Lepore and Emmanuel =
Vadot has pointed out several times.=20
https://www.ti.com/lit/ug/spruhz6l/spruhz6l.pdf ) on paper.
> 2 Find marking pens.
> 3 Build & boot u-boot - probably easy check out =
ports/sysutils/u-boot-* change model/board_config maybe some patches are =
needed.
> 4 Dive into the devicetree (moving target and not always correct) and =
understand the concept. The relationship between different parts of the =
system and the documentation, find the registers & bits you need and =
issue read/write (maybe some glue are needed aswell).=20
> 5 Write new/rewrite drivers.
> 6 goto (4)
>=20
> It will probably take a year or two to have stable support for am57xx. =
If you have time to work on making freebsd boot on BBAI it will be great =
- maybe we can get it done in 6 months ? :)
>=20
> I will put up an initial proposal for am335x clock on =
reviews.freebsd.org as soon as my account has been approved. Head boots =
and i have tested most of the function except PRUs.=20
> I assume am57xx/dra7xx have some new type of clock/dpll but it should =
not be too hard to add.

Oskar, Thank you very much for your reply. I looked into sys/arm and =
sys/arm64, however, I cannot easily figure out the responses of my two =
main concerns, namely number of supported I=C2=B2C busses (and its =
speed) and what=E2=80=99s the future of the board (next 5 years or so).=20=

The ARM board will be build into a rugged housing, together with the =
other components. In this respect the beauty of the BeagleBone series =
would be, that we may start with the BeagleBone Black and in the future =
replace this with the BeagleBone AI without needing to change anything =
in the housing, even the I=C2=B2C pins are at the same place, and the =
BBAI could even serve as a replacement part for BBB systems which are =
already shipped to customers. The mechanical compatibility alone is =
quite appealing, isn=E2=80=99t it?

I will have a closer look at the Pine boards, though. In the specs I see =
only 1 I=C2=B2C bus. John-Mark Gurney told in another message, that =
there are lots more. If this turns out to be true, then these would be =
worth a serious consideration.

Anyway, I take form our discussion, that the BeagleBone AI would be an =
option in future, albeit a lot of work needs to be done.

Best regards