Date:      Tue, 5 Jul 2005 12:33:29 +0000
From:      Bryan Maynard <bryan.maynard@reallm.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 5.4 ndis support

On Tuesday 05 July 2005 08:25 am, Tobias Tom wrote:
>> Anyway, there is a utility in 5.4 (I think that's that's where it showed
>>up)
>> called "ndisgen". Running ndisgen steps you through a wonderful little
>>script
>> that asks for for the location of your INF and SYS files, generates you .h
>> file and kernel module.
>I did that ... thank you very much ... it generated a rt2500_sys.ko ..
>and that could be loaded by hand.

No problem, glad I could help! :-D

>Now I have just the Problem left that it does not work when i try to
>load it on boot. Is there anything I have to do except copy that file
>to /boot/kernel and enter load_rt200_sys="yes" to loader.conf?

As long as you're not using DHCP that should work fine. I'm actually trying to
get my Linksys WPC11 ver.4 to load at boot and grap an IP through DHCP, but I
don't think it's possible (if anyone has any ideas on this I'd love to hear
them :-)). If you can assign a static IP to your wireless card through your
router you should be fine.

Just bind your wireless car's MAC address (found using "ifconfig -a" and
looking for the "ether" property of the "ndis0" device) to your chosen IP
address using your router (if your router can hand out static IPs it should
be able to map those static Ips to a MAC address).

If you have any problems, or questions, please provide your router's model
number and we'll do some research. . .

You could also try putting your chosen static IP address in your kernel's
<kernel>.hints file (if you're using the GENERIC kernel it'll be
GENERIC.hints). I'm not sure what the syntax for that would be though. . .
might be something fun to experiment with :-D