Date:      Thu, 21 Sep 2000 18:17:29 -0400
From:      Damien Tougas <damien@carroll.com>
To:        Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Request for change to /etc/rc script

On Thu, Sep 21, 2000 at 01:01:10PM -0700, Alfred Perlstein wrote:
>I've never used NIS, but isn't this either a bug/missing feature
>in NIS or a misconfiguaration on your part?
>
>Shouldn't NIS have a "first found" option so that root:wheel doesn't
>need NIS resolution?

There are cases when you do not want to have the root password info on
a workstation. In our case, these are thin-client network computers,
we would rather have a centrally managed root password for the NIS
domain, and I cannot see why this is a bad idea.

>I'd rather see NIS fixed than the rc system hacked to death because
>of NIS brain death.

This in my mind is not a hack, it is the re-ordering of boot options
to optimize the interaction of network services.

--
Damien Tougas
Systems Administrator