Date:      Mon, 7 Aug 1995 15:25:08 -0400
From:      Garrett Wollman <wollman@halloran-eldar.lcs.mit.edu>
To:        Pete Carah <pete@puffin.pelican.com>
Cc:        current@FREEBSD.org
Subject:   Re: workaround for talk's address problem

<<On Mon, 7 Aug 1995 12:09:46 -0700, Pete Carah <pete@puffin.pelican.com> said:

> Boy is that not general.  We need to think about incoming connections
> too (like the kadmind fix last week; will that work for xntpd too,

xntpd MUST listen on all interfaces because it MUST send back replies
with a source address identical to the destination address in the
query.

The only way that this can be `fixed' generically is by extending the
recvmsg() system call and socket layer to provide a mechanism to
indicate the destination in addition to the source of incoming
packets, and similarly in sendmsg() to force a particular outgoing
address even if it is ``wrong'' for the destination's route.  This is
Not An Easy Problem.

-GAWollman

--
Garrett A. Wollman   | Shashish is simple, it's discreet, it's brief. ...
wollman@lcs.mit.edu  | Shashish is the bonding of hearts in spite of distance.