Date:      Thu, 14 Aug 1997 08:30:19 -0700
From:      "M.R.Murphy" <mrm@Mole.ORG>
To:        bdodson@beowulf.utmb.edu
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org, shawn@cpl.net
Subject:   Re: Printing on Hp Deskjet 855C

> From bdodson@beowulf.utmb.edu Wed Aug 13 08:58:48 1997
> Date: Wed, 13 Aug 1997 10:50:48 -0500 (CDT)
> From: "M. L. Dodson" <bdodson@beowulf.utmb.edu>
> To: bdodson@beowulf.utmb.edu, questions@FreeBSD.ORG, shawn@cpl.net,
>         mrm@mole.mole.org
> Subject: Re: Printing on Hp Deskjet 855C

> > > Yes (assuming it is connected to a microsloth box).
> >
> > Agreed.

> > > Yes.
> >
> > No :-)
> >
> > Better, I think, to connect the printer to the uSoft box, share it, and
> > use smbclient from lpd to print. That way you get all of the niceties
> > that HP has included in the printer driver for uSoft (like using the
> > sound card to emote "You're out of paper." uSoft Win95 boxes make
> > wonderful little print servers :-)
>
> Hmmm...... Different strokes for different folks ;-)
>
> I would only point out that you miss out on the benefits of PostScript
> printing if you do it that way (although it is definitely more
> straightforward).

This technique does PS from the BSD box to the win95 print spooler
using gs. On the win95 box, the driver handles everything.  No need
for PS on the win95 box. If there is, for some reason, then it's
easy to share the printer resource from the Samba side and use the
shared printer from the win95 box. It bounces the print file around
a bit and makes the led on the Ethernet card blink, but it really
is nice to have the printer driver bells and whistles that the
win95 drivers have. It becomes even more desirable when the printer
is a large format HP or Xerox or whatever, or when it's a PS printer
that is serially attached to the win95 box that chats back through
the serial port.

With any of the appletalk equivalents integrated with Samba it
makes it a reasonable way to talk to Apple printers, too.

Win95 boxes do make lovely little print servers :-)

--
Mike Murphy  mrm@Mole.ORG  +1 619 598 5874
Better is the enemy of Good