Date:      Mon, 23 Feb 2004 13:42:14 -0700
From:      Lance Gilbert <Lance@thefrontnetworks.net>
To:        freebsd-emulation@freebsd.org
Subject:   Implimenting New Linux System Calls

Hi there, I'm new to the list, so excuse me if I bring up some topics which
have been previously covered. (I just briefly looked through the mail
archive)

I have been working fairly extensively with the Linux emulation in FreeBSD
over the past few months, primarily to get WineX 3.x working correctly under
it.

What concerns me, is that according to the response of 'uname -a' under Linux
emulation, (chrooted) the implimentation is only at Linux kernel 2.4.2. With
Linux already at 2.6.x and much later versions of 2.4.x, it would seem that
FreeBSD's Linux emualation has started to fall behind in terms of syscalls.

For example, I recently built a linux_base-Fedora port for myself. It uses a
newer version of glibc then pervious linux_base. (glibc-2.3.2-101) As a
result, even some simple commands like 'ls' core dump as a result of
unimplemented system calls from newer linux kernels. I have tracked down the
missing system call in question here, and it is an issue in
"__pthread_initialize_minimal" from libpthread. (libpthread is provided by
glibc)

Point and case being, if things like 'ls' are core dumping now due to a lack
of updated system calls, how long until this trend renders Linux Emulation
useless, and what effect will the movement to 2.6 have here?

Not to be completely glom-and-doom, I have started investigating the design of
the Linux Emulation kernel module in order to start implimenting these calls
myself, in an aim to keep it continually current with the current released
Linux kernel.

Is there already a team assigned to this task, or if not, would it perhaps be
wise to start a project aimed at maintaining this?

If anyone else is interested, I am also looking at the current state of
linprocfs, and the challenges involved with updating that, especially given
the fact that in 2.6 proc has changed fairly substantially. (Has there been
any thought about how to manage 2.6 support while not breaking 2.4 support at
this point?)

My apologies for the long winded mail. Please feel free to respond to this on,
or off list to me.

--
Thanks,
Lance Gilbert